[Tagging] Highway=*_link roads at Y-junctions and roundabouts?

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Sun Dec 16 15:51:37 UTC 2018

Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com> writes:

> While checking the rendering of highway link roads (eg motorway_link,
> primary_link, tertiary_link), I noticed that in some cases these tags
> are used when a road splits in a Y-junction, for example before a
> traffic circle / roundabout. In some areas these are the most common
> forms of _link for less major roads, eg secondary_link and
> tertiary_link.
>
> On the wiki there was some debate about whether it was correct to tag
> a Y-junction as leading into link roads, or if these should only be
> used for slip lanes and on-ramps which merge off of or onto the
> through-lanes of another road:
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Highway_link

It seems that the Y roads should not be link.  link is about a
connecting road used when changing roads, and the last few feet entering
a rotary, especially when there is no other choice, does not fit that.

In particular, if a road wouldn't be tagged differently at a rotary, but
happens to be divided (dual carriageway) the last 50m, then it's fine to
make two ways, but not to change the way type.