[Tagging] Highway=*_link roads at Y-junctions and roundabouts?

Michael Booth boothym at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 22:51:19 UTC 2018

Agreed, a short Y section before a roundabout because there is a small
bit of painted or physical separation doesn't mean they are _link roads
- it's still the same through road.

The wiki says "The _link tags are used to identify ... 'channelised'
(physically separated) at-grade turning lanes connecting the through
carriageways ... to other roadways"

So this way is correctly tagged as a _link road:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/352297911 /
https://www.mapillary.com/map/im/5jD0ksQCmHPt11DizKyztA - but the other
ways connecting to the roundabout aren't, because they are through
carriageways (you could argue the roundabout is the thing doing the
linking here).