[Tagging] Benefits of namespaces

François Lacombe fl.infosreseaux at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 10:50:06 UTC 2018

Hi Sergio,

Le lun. 17 déc. 2018 à 02:38, Sergio Manzi <smz at smz.it> a écrit :

> Now, for the reasons for namespacing and just as an example (*it is not
> the only good reason...*), think about documentation: the documentation
> for describing a power switch should not be intermixed with the
> documentation describing power switches. The railways people got that and
> they did what I think they had to do: to namespace their switch. You didn't
> (*if that was you...*). Big mistake, IMHO: not all the switches are your
> switches..

I own no switches.
Separated documentation between railway switches and power switches is done
on two pages, railway=switch and power=switch, pictures and examples are
This does not prevent *at all* them to share some common aspects, which can
be grouped on a third page like actuator=electric_motor as to gather
different situations linked to that same concept.
My point isn't to make railway=switch look the same as power=switch, but to
not waste time defining more keys than required and "meet" railway people
who can bring useful insight for power mapping also.

Le lun. 17 déc. 2018 à 03:07, Sergio Manzi <smz at smz.it> a écrit :

> BTW, if that's not clear:
>
>    - railway:switch describe/is an *object*
>    - fire_hydrant:position describe/is an *attribute *of the fire_hydrant
>    object
>
> Then actuator is an attribute of several kind of objects (pipeline=valve
and eventually railway=switch), just like location.
I don't get where I confuse something between actuator=* like tags and
location=*

All the best

François