[Tagging] Trailhead tagging

Peter Elderson pelderson at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 20:59:54 UTC 2018

Good examples. These are trailheads for a single hiking route, fitting the
trailhead proposal nicely. In Nederland, most trails are multiheaded and
divided into several separately named sections with separate booklets etc.
Where long trails cross, you could also say that the crossing point is the
start/end point of 4 trails. Several regional or local routes (roundtrips
with branches, mostly) also tend to start or have a hop-on point there, as
do routes for bicycles and other recreational transport modes. Often they
are also assciated with the node networks for hiking, biking, and riding.
So it's more complicated here: with the West Highland Way you could map the
trailhead as a starting point in one route relation, that is not an option
here because a single hop-on point easily serves 20 or more routes.

Apart from the multiplicity, the function is the same, though. A
designated, named and verifyable starting point with variable appropriate
facilities like information and parking, to launch recreational route users.

Op vr 21 dec. 2018 om 21:17 schreef Michael Booth <boothym at gmail.com>:

> I only know of the term trailhead as I've seen it used in the infobox on
> Wikipedia, e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Highland_Way
>
> That route has trailheads at Milngavie (bonus points for pronouncing it
> correctly): https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5819237 and Fort William:
> https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3237567
>
> Also in Scotland the Fife Coastal Path has an arch like this at each end
> of its route:
> http://fifecoastandcountrysidetrust.co.uk/userfiles/Fife%20Coastal%20Path%20Kincardine%20archway%20unveiled.jpg
> (don't know if there's information boards as well)
>
> On 21/12/2018 13:29, Andy Townsend wrote:
>
> Can you give a few examples of what trailheads are to you?  There's a
> clearly defined American concept, it isn't not really used much in British
> English.  Also what do you mean by "official" below - is there some kind of
> VVV list or similar?
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Andy
> On 21/12/2018 11:54, Peter Elderson wrote:
>
> I would like to revive the trailhead proposal,
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/trailhead
>
> After discussions in the Dutch user community, a list of all Dutch
> trailheads was compiled and systematically entered as nodes tagged
> highway=trailhead, name=<official trailhead name>, tourism=information,
> information=board or map. Many trailheads were already present in OSM,
> there we just did some additional tagging.
>
> In the US, trailheads are all maintained on OSM by a national operator.
> Japan has lots of trailheads, I don't know how they are maintained. In
> Europe, no systematical OSM-tagging appears to take place, except for the
> Dutch base.
>
> I think it deserves a push.
>
> Any thoughts on the matter?
>
> --