[Tagging] request for review: OSM wiki rewording of tourism=motel based on Wikipedia

LeTopographeFou letopographefou at gmail.com
Sun Dec 23 16:15:20 UTC 2018

Thank you for asking.

I go a lot to either motels or hotels and I also think that the
difference between a motel and an hotel is mainly based on the design of
the place, not on the number of nights, the proximity to tourist
attractions or major highways or the cost of the land. Consequently I
disagree with most of your criteria in the "How to tell apart from
hotel" section and would reduce the list to objective criteria based on
the design of the place, i.e an high interaction between the parking lot
and the rooms (which often means that room access is made from the
parking lot). Everything else may be your criteria but are not objective
criteria IMHO.

Speaking of the difference with a guest house the main difference would
be: Is the owner a company (i.e. an incorporated business) with
employees (for check in, check out...) or is it a self-managed business?
I think the question applies also to hotels.

Also, I suggest you to sum up eveything in one Wiki page listing all
scenarios of sleeping places (camping, glamping, hotel, motel and guest
house), keeping the actual one as how to use the tags (not how to choose
the best one) instead of keeping 5 pages which will never (?) be aligned.

Yours,

LeTopographeFou