[Tagging] request for review: OSM wiki rewording of tourism=motel based on Wikipedia

bkil bkil.hu+Aq at gmail.com
Sun Dec 23 11:05:54 UTC 2018

Thank you for the insight, I'll try to figure out a better wording there.
I'm also considering to improve the wording of the guest house and hotel
articles in the future, though I'll need to find a way to do this without
adding too much redundancy.

Well, what I wanted to convey in those sentences was that I'd expect the
average booked nights per stay to be lower for a motel compared to a hotel.

Compared to renting a flat, both motel and hotel stays are considered
short-term. However, if we used the exact same wording of simply "short
term" on both wiki articles, we would be missing the opportunity for an
important distinction: while one happily books a whole week in a hotel for
the sake of enjoying the leisure, services and attractions nearby, motels
by design have been more intended for transit traffic.

Of course I'm not talking about a hard split, as in all or nothing. Surely
a number of people on the budget will stay at a motel and commute from
there daily to their real destinations simply because of the cost savings,
but I'd say that the core business model of most motels relies (or have
historically relied) on transient use.