[Tagging] request for review: OSM wiki rewording of tourism=motel based on Wikipedia

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Sun Dec 23 23:53:18 UTC 2018

"Today the main difference seems to be the sign out front.  If a hostelry
calls itself a motel, it is a motel.  If it calls itself a hotel, it is a
hotel.  Local licensing authorities do not differentiate between them and
they are regulated identically, so far as I can tell.  I'd say the
definition should be based on what is written on the sign on the hostelry."

+1

That's my main criterion for tagging an accommodation as a  motel. I agree
with Volker's points and Allan's view on this.

Happy Holidays

Dave

On Mon, Dec 24, 2018 at 6:27 AM Allan Mustard <allan at mustard.net> wrote:

> Motel = MOtor hoTEL
>
> The major difference between a 'hotel" and a "motel" originally was the
> configuration of the building with respect to parking.  At a traditionally
> designed motel, the cars are parked outside the units, which typically open
> to the outdoors, not to a hallway, so that patrons of the motel may come
> and go freely to their automobiles.  Length of stay is immaterial.
>
> The first motels appeared on the Lincoln Highway in the 1920s, if memory
> serves, and had little carports capable of accommodating a Model T
> Ford-sized automobile next to a cabin (yes, the first motels featured
> cabins, not rooms in a larger building).
>
> Then along came Motel 6, so called because it charged $6 per night back in
> the day (it featured coin-operated TVs and you paid extra for everything
> but the bed, bath, and four walls).  Many Motel 6s had hallways, and that
> changed the design, but they still catered to transients en route from
> Point A to Point B.
>
> Today the main difference seems to be the sign out front.  If a hostelry
> calls itself a motel, it is a motel.  If it calls itself a hotel, it is a
> hotel.  Local licensing authorities do not differentiate between them and
> they are regulated identically, so far as I can tell.  I'd say the
> definition should be based on what is written on the sign on the hostelry.
> These are my two cents' worth based on 30+ years of travel, including a few
> cross-country trips across America as well as extensive on-ground travel in
> Mexico, Russia, and central Europe.
>
> Cheers and Merry Christmas to all!
> apm-wa
>

> On Sun, Dec 23, 2018 at 4:33 AM bkil <bkil.hu+Aq at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I've made a major rewording of this tag. Please review and don't hesitate
>> to comment or improve if I've mistakenly changed the meaning of the tag:
>>

>> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag%3Atourism%3Dmotel&type=revision&diff=1755686&oldid=1561324
>>
>> Source: based on Wikipedia and recent mapping experience:
>> https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/65702446#map=9/47.1412/18.6632
>>
>> It also looks like some have used the word motel for what should have
>> been pensions and guest houses around here, I'll also fix these later.

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand