[Tagging] request for review: OSM wiki rewording of tourism=motel based on Wikipedia

Allan Mustard allan at mustard.net
Sun Dec 23 23:26:25 UTC 2018

Motel = MOtor hoTEL

The major difference between a 'hotel" and a "motel" originally was the
configuration of the building with respect to parking.  At a traditionally
designed motel, the cars are parked outside the units, which typically open
to the outdoors, not to a hallway, so that patrons of the motel may come
and go freely to their automobiles.  Length of stay is immaterial.

The first motels appeared on the Lincoln Highway in the 1920s, if memory
serves, and had little carports capable of accommodating a Model T
Ford-sized automobile next to a cabin (yes, the first motels featured
cabins, not rooms in a larger building).

Then along came Motel 6, so called because it charged $6 per night back in
the day (it featured coin-operated TVs and you paid extra for everything
but the bed, bath, and four walls).  Many Motel 6s had hallways, and that
changed the design, but they still catered to transients en route from
Point A to Point B.

Today the main difference seems to be the sign out front.  If a hostelry
calls itself a motel, it is a motel.  If it calls itself a hotel, it is a
hotel.  Local licensing authorities do not differentiate between them and
they are regulated identically, so far as I can tell.  I'd say the
definition should be based on what is written on the sign on the hostelry.
These are my two cents' worth based on 30+ years of travel, including a few
cross-country trips across America as well as extensive on-ground travel in
Mexico, Russia, and central Europe.

Cheers and Merry Christmas to all!
apm-wa