[Tagging] Road blocks?

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 24 23:03:36 UTC 2018

Thanks fellas!

On Mon, 24 Dec 2018 at 18:33, Anton Klim <tohaklim at gmail.com> wrote:

> Seeing the tag for the first time, but it's on the wiki so some router
> should support it.
> I usually drop a simple barrier=block on the way, with a fixme and
> check_date for an approximate works end date.

No, I've never thought about the technicalities of how they actually work
either!

Would a single =block, block the full width of the road, or would it need
one in each lane?

Guess it might be a case of suck it & see!

Keep in mind that quite a lot of end user apps like mapsme and osmand only
> update data once in a while, so a temporary block might extend beyond
> what's intended.

True. Osmand seems to update once every month or two (at least in
Australia) so there will be an overlap. However, these closures are
expected to be in place for ~8 months :-(, so shouldn't be that big an
issue

On Mon, 24 Dec 2018 at 20:16, Philip Barnes <phil at trigpoint.me.uk> wrote:

> I may be teaching you to suck eggs, but also take into account what the
> restriction applies to. If the route remains open to pedestrians/cyclists
> then use appropriate access tags, for example motor_vehicle=no rather than
> access=no.

All suggestions always gratefully accepted! :-)

Roads are cut to all private vehicles, Council vehicles can enter the work
zone but not get all the way through (as there's a 20' wide trench across
the road!). Pedestrians & cyclists can get through on one side only, across
a temporary footbridge - guess I need to add that in as well?

Thanks Graeme

PS Merry Christmas!