[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Top up

Stefan Keller sfkeller at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 14:08:07 UTC 2018

Hi,

Am Mi., 26. Dez. 2018 um 10:13 Uhr schrieb Markus <selfishseahorse at gmail.com>:
> I don't see a problem that would prevent using the proposed tags
> top_up:<type>[:<brand>]=yes/no for vending machines, ATMs, convenience

Tag-proposals in the form
<tag_attr_name>:<type_value->[:<subtype_value>]=yes/no should be
avoided. It's shifting values to attribute names!

This detracts processing - given we/OSM already have a non-relational
key-value schema. Specifically it makes processing with presets and
any key-value analysis very hard.

And by saying hard I don't mean it's because some programmers may be
lazy. It's because having a value as part of an attribute-name is
really a wrong data structure.

In fact, "<tag_attr_name>:<type_value->[:<subtype_value>] = boolean"
has to be officially considered harmful!

There are so many tagging alternatives - like the usual tag scheme.

:Stefan

[1] https://2018.stateofthemap.org/2018/T061-An_excursion_in_to_the_world_of_OSM_tagging_presets/