[Tagging] how to map soft story/soft storey buildings properly?

Stefano Maffulli smaffulli at gmail.com
Sat Dec 29 20:36:12 UTC 2018

On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 1:17 AM Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
wrote:

> indeed, that's what I was suspecting. Would it be possible to give mappers
> summary advice on a short wikipage how to identify potential soft storey
> buildings? Or is this something that requires expert training?

This requires expert training and as I said in another message, this job
(at least in California) has already been done by the Department of
Building Inspection (DBI). The DBI releases open data with the list of soft
story buildings and the status of their retrofitting.

Regarding the choice of tag, I was looking at taginfo and the only current
> tag with some usage I have found is
> building:irregularity:type
> <https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/building%3Airregularity%3Atype>
> *soft_sto*ry
> <https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/building%3Airregularity%3Atype=soft_story>

Thanks for digging these up. They seem to be in Nepal, too but they must
have been done outside of the OpenDRI initiative of Katmandu since they use
a different tag. For example, https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/328538917
and an OpenDRI one, https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/226670899

The key is not bad, but could also omit the "type" and become
> building:irregularity, or become a property
> building:irregularity:soft_storey=yes/suspected/etc,
> in case we expect more building irregularities on the same building. I
> also note the word "structure" is not in the key, there might be other
> kinds of e.g. geometric irregularities as well.

How is this going to work with regards to the ongoing namespace discussion?

"story" is American English, in British spelling it should be "storey" (we
> use British spelling in tag names by convention).

I know :)