[Tagging] 'Unknown' value.

Nelson A. de Oliveira naoliv at gmail.com
Sat Feb 3 22:16:55 UTC 2018

On Sat, Feb 3, 2018 at 4:18 PM, Dave F <davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com> wrote:
> I recently seen a variety of keys being given the value of 'unknown'.
> I'm struggling to see its purpose. It confirms nothing & adds no value to
> the database. Am I missing something?

You are right.

It's interesting if you take a look at some values.

maxspeed=unknown basically happens only in the Netherlands, from the
same author (it seems) who is mapping/importing railway data.

owner=UNKNOWN in California, USA, from an old buildings import

place=unknown in Africa (due to this import
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import_Liberia_UNMIL_Places#Tagging_Plans)

bench=unknown are mostly in Italy (from some possible bus stops/routes import)

foot=unknown in England
naptan:Landmark=Unknown also in England (both foot and naptan:Landmark
look that are old data)

wheelchair=unknown mostly in Iraq and Saudi Arabia (also from older imports)

By taking a quick look at them, most seem to be from imports, created
by the same mappers or old data.