[Tagging] Tagging for an American Wild & Scenic river

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Sun Feb 4 00:08:54 UTC 2018

Thanks for the replies. I'm away from home watching a tennis tournament so
pardon me for not replying promptly. I received an answer in the Help Forum
that was similar to Brad's reply here about tagging the river corridor with
protect_class=5, etc., and that sounds good but I don't have any way short
of digging into multiple U.S. government websites to determine the actual
boundaries of those corridors and frankly don't want to do it. I've
struggled with them before and prefer to leave that sort of research to
people with more patience than me.

Could one legitimately apply the protect_class, protection_title to ways
rather than just areas?

Several people used the word designation or designated in their replies
too. The Wiki would, at first glance, tend to eliminate the use of that tag
for a river because it is aimed squarely at transportation or modes of
transportation:

"The *designated* value, when used with a mode of transport key, indicates
that a route has been specially designated (typically by a government) for
use by a particular mode (or modes) of transport. Typically it is used on
ways legally dedicated to specific modes of travel by a law or by the rules
of traffic."

Yet, "Wild and Scenic" is a designation in its own right. And one might
also conclude, correctly or not, that by having this special designation,
modes of transport along such rivers are indeed restricted. In addition,
the paragraph from the Wiki above defines *designated* when used as a *value.
*Mappers have used *designated* as a *key* too (see Taginfo
<https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/search?q=designated%3D>) even if some of
those uses not might be strictly correct. I think were I to suggest using a
tag of, for example, designated=wild_and_scenic it would run into
opposition. Still, it seems like a useful point to explore.

I have used scenic=yes on highways so designated (there's that word again)
but not rivers, however, I see no reason it couldn't be used on them as
well.

Again, thanks.

Dave

On Sat, Feb 3, 2018 at 5:35 PM, Matej Lieskovský <lieskovsky.matej at gmail.com