[Tagging] How to tag sports halls?

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 01:33:59 UTC 2018

On 07-Feb-18 11:51 AM, Paul Allen wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 7, 2018 at 12:33 AM, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com
>

>     I think of table tennis as a sport, so see no reason why the
>     playing area for table tennis should not be tagged as a pitch in OSM.
>

> In British English, "pitch" has a specific meaning with respect to
> sport.  The equivalent in US and Canadian English
> is "playing field" or "sports field."  It is grass or artificial grass
> for running around, and being tackled to the ground.
> Grass or artificial grass to prevent injuries when being tackled to
> the ground.  Grass or artificial grass to prevent the
> surface being churned to mud on rainy days.
>
> It makes no sense whatsoever, in British English, to talk of a table
> tennis pitch any more than it would be to talk of a
> table-tennis field. There's a reason it's called "table tennis" not
> "pitch tennis" or "field tennis."  Pitches are large
> enough for 22 men to run around on (smaller versions for kiddies)
> kicking or throwing or hitting a ball.

Dictionary time - pitch...
Oxford - An area of ground marked out or used for play in an outdoor
team game.

No mention of surface or size. As there is 5 a side soccer ..
The present game of tennis is played on a much smaller are then
traditional 11 a side soccer.
And it can be played on clay.
Shuttle cock?
Volley ball?

Archery ... according to the wiki uses pitch ... as does shooting ...
If table tennis is excluded then so should these. And possibly more.
How pedantic should OSM be? Just pointing out the inconsistencies.

sport

Oxford - An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an
individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

>     Chess? Not certain if that can be classified as a 'sport' ...
>     certainly a game of skill. Should there be another OSM key for
>     games of skill?
>

> Whatever you classify chess as, it's played on a board, not a pitch or
> a field.  Maybe if you play with human pieces (a
> novelty game) you might play it on marked grass but it would still be
> referred to as a board, not a pitch.

Chess has little physical exertion. So would not meet the strict
definition of a 'sport'.

>     Looking through th eOSM list of sports ... Yoga? As a sport
>

> I tried yoga once.  It tasted like sour milk to me.

More Dictionary time - yoga ..
Oxford - A Hindu spiritual and ascetic discipline, a part of which,
including breath control, simple meditation, and the adoption of
specific bodily postures, is widely practised for health and relaxation.

I don't see any completion here. Yet OSM has it as a 'sport'.

Summary
Best fit.. round peg .. square hole.