[Tagging] Tagging (or not) work from home businesses

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Feb 7 08:15:26 UTC 2018

Hi,

On 02/07/18 02:26, Graeme Fitzpatrick wrote:
> I know we "tag what we can see" so if there's a sign there saying Bill
> Jones Accountant, we should tag the premises as office=accountant, with
> name, phone number & so on.

Yes.

> However, I've also seen mention that we shouldn't disclose personal
> details, so /shouldn't/ say that Bill Jones lives at this address &
> here's his phone number.

Actually you wouldn't tag that at all. You would tag that this is where
Bill Jones has his office, and what his office phone number is. You
would not add "works_from_home=true" so you're not saying anything about
where Bill Jones lives. People familiar with the area might infer that
because it's a residential neighbourhood, it is likely that this is a
work-from-home situation, but you don't say anything about that.

Even in countries with data protection laws, individuals who solicit
business through a sign out front can't at the same time request  privacy.

Bye
Frederik