[Tagging] wayside shrine tag definition page

José G Moya Y. josemoya at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 14:42:40 UTC 2018

There could be some bias on the translation.

As an example, the name ID gives to it in Spanish (santuario al borde del
camino=holy place close to a road) is somehow arbitrary.
As most beginners read the translated
tag name only, and different languages make different segmentations of
reality, having translated tag names is prone to errors.

In Spanish we have "humilladero": any place to pray in the street;
"crucero": a column with cross to mark road crossings which is some times a
worship place; "picota": a simple column without cross intended to sign
road crossings were people was bound and executed (so its neither a worship
place nor a milestone), and "hornacina", that seems to be what you mean by
shrine here, a hollow wall containing an image. There are also small
pet-house like shrines we don't call "hornacinas" and I've marked them as
"shrines" -- did I do right?