[Tagging] wayside shrine tag definition page

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Thu Feb 15 03:23:26 UTC 2018

Javbw

> On Feb 15, 2018, at 9:41 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> What do you think about the column, does it meet your expectations for wayside shrine?

If the object is religious in nature, I think it is.

Very very very old wayside shrines in Japan are usually destroyed. The weather demolishes everything. The small stone figure (of indigenous gods?) Carved into a stone is still on a rock along the road or sitting on a wall. In urban areas, they get small little platforms or shelters, like the one shown in the thread. They are sometimes POIs in local maps.

This column seems to be like that - a religious object dedicated to a worshipped spirit right there, nearby, or a place for locals to leave small offerings to the dedicated spirit/dieity/god. Can be a small case for holding very small objects or accepting donations as well.