[Tagging] Cycling "service area"
johnw at mac.com
Sat Feb 17 22:37:17 UTC 2018
Thanks for all the comments everyone.
> On Feb 18, 2018, at 5:43 AM, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:
> highway=service _area
> service _area=bicycle, hgv, horse, etc
Warin's suggestion is probably best, that way the wheel doesn't have to be reinvented for each type, service_area can just get another subtag value.
If we were starting from scratch, I would use highway=services and then services=foobar to define type.
But highway=services is explicitly for motorway service areas now; I think trying to extend that tag will just lead to confusion.
I think hgv is already covered by motorway=services. Am I wrong?
Please reply back to tell me specific services offered for a type (beyond food/shelter/toilets) That are at facilities which are:
Self-identified, way-adjacent, type-specific facilities offering specific and general amenities to that type of transient traveller (kayak? Cycle? Horse? Hiker?) That isn't a park, sports complex, convenience store, or a retail shop.
- self-identify as service_area for a specific type. There may they be a nice convenience store along the route with a bike pump and a parking rack - but it is just a 7/11.
- Must not be confused with a facility dedicated to that activity - an equestrian center, a MBX off-road park, etc. Service_area is a facility for transient visitors, just passing through.
- Must be a facility along a dedicated route (bridlepath for horses, for example) or busy area for the specific type. This is not a shop in a mall.
- Must offer amenities specific to the type (bicycle maintaince, watering spot for horses). Additional non-specific amenities are usually present as well (food, shelter, toilets), that could be used by anyone visiting there, but that is not a defining feature. A park could have a picnic shelter, a toilet, a cycle rack and a vending machine. It is a park.
- Must be more than a souvioir shop / [type] rental / torestaurant/ [type] shop/ or a convenience store with parking. It may have a restaurant or such, but the pesence of such does not define it as a service_area.
With feedback, I can include some common types in the draft page and use some amenities offered as defining features, and present what existing tags go with such a facility.
More information about the Tagging