[Tagging] reviving hollow way

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 11:33:41 UTC 2018

> Hi,
>
> Hollow way is probably a germanism; it's what sunken lanes are literally
> called in Dutch too. I absolutely agree that we should stick to British
> English for tags, wherever possible. So if we change the proposal to
> historic=sunken_lane, then we're all set for voting, right?
>
> Almost all the hollow_way's in Germany seem to have been made in one go
> (looking at taghistory.raifer.tech), so I think that means there's a decent
> chance for a relatively massive change operation.

+1 to sunken_lane rather than hollow_way, but is this in conflict with
historic=road and we should use a subtag like sunken_lane=yes or
cutting=sunken_lane (I don't share the concern that the cutting term
implies modern excavation)? There are even more instances of
historic=roman_road, are those never sunken lanes?

I wouldn't exclude that at least some of those sunken lanes have been cut
deliberately (in these cases contrary to the meaning of "sunken" which
might imply a longer process?), e.g. around here there are many Etruscan
rock-cut roads.

Cheers,
Martin