[Tagging] reviving hollow way

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Tue Feb 20 14:14:45 UTC 2018

On Mon, 2018-02-19 at 20:20 +0000, Steve Doerr wrote:
> On 19/02/2018 09:00, Philip Barnes wrote:
>
> > As a native English speaker I have never heard the term Hollow
> > Way,
> > however reading the description it seems that this proposal is
> > describing what is called a Sunken Lane.
>
> Might need a bit more research as both are fairly obscure terms, I
> would
> imagine. For what it's worth, 'hollow-way' [sic] is mentioned in the
> Oxford English Dictionary, while 'sunken lane' isn't, as far as I can
> see.

It not a particularly obscure landscape feature, the rural landscape is full
of them many of them and they form parts of our rights of way network and my
experience is they are called sunken lanes.

As Andy says Hollow Way is an archaic term, of which the Oxford English
Dictionary contains many. We cannot

More contemporary organisations use the term sunken lane for example
The National Trust  https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/features/what-are-sunken-lanes

http://shropshirehistory.com/comms/romanroads.htm

Phil (trigpoint)