[Tagging] reviving hollow way

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Wed Feb 21 15:45:43 UTC 2018

> On 19. Feb 2018, at 22:28, Richard Welty <rwelty at averillpark.net
> <mailto:rwelty at averillpark.net>> wrote:
>
>> i know of examples in both italy and the US. the italian ones
>> i've seen are older and thus much more sunken than the ones in the US.
>

> in Italy there are also “a lot” of historic cuttings (in rock),
> predating the Roman empire.
>
> https://duckduckgo.com/?q=tagliata+etrusca&t=h_&iax=images&ia=images

not all in rock. we saw a deeply sunken road in packed dirt at an
Etruscan site
in Tuscany quite a few years ago.

there are sunken roads/lanes associated with a couple of battlefields
from the
American Civil War, notably the one at the Antietam battlefield. these
are generally
of historical significance because they were handy pre-existing
entrenchments
that impacted the course of the battles. 100 years of use are easily
enough to
create a road or way that deserves to be called "sunken".

richard

rwelty at averillpark.net
 OpenStreetMap - PostgreSQL - Linux
 Java - Web Applications - Search