[Tagging] "service" tags in general (for shops)

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 11:11:24 UTC 2018

> On 27/02/2018 09:42, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> > IMHO this is not a good tag, because “printer” can mean a machine or a
> person, and amenity doesn’t provide context.
> >
> > For the person/profession, “craft=printer” seems better, for the service
> I’d use shop=printing_service or sth. similar and less ambiguous. Shop
> should be used for businesses offering products or services.
>
> shop=printer_service sounds nice. I'm guessing the ink shops also sell
> paper and I guess "printer" is ambiguous.

Actually I proposed shop=printing_service, this makes it clear it is about
someone printing for you. printer_service sounds like a place you can bring
your printer for service.

> With craft=printer you mean a print shop? Posters, books, etc.

no, craft is about a profession, so this is about the workplace of someone
who has learnt printing as a profession.

> I see existing shop=printshop (66 uses), craft=printshop ( 10 uses),
> craft=print_shop (119) and craft=print (6 uses) and there is also 1
> craft=print_finishers, whatever that is.
>
> Maybe these could be merged into something

as long as you don't know for sure what these are, you shouldn't merge
them. It may take some time, but we are generally confident that it will
all work out some day ;-)
While there aren't well defined, documented tags it is clear that
different, similar tags come up, and some will eventually make it, others
will sooner or later be merged or tags added (when there are definitions
and someone has checked on the ground that the objects fall into the
category).

If you want to speed up this process, you can prepare a proposal for one or
more of the features we are talking here.
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposal_process

Cheers,
Martin