[Tagging] "service" tags in general (for shops)

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 10:04:25 UTC 2018

> On Tue, Feb 27, 2018 at 11:11 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer <
> dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> craft is about a profession, so this is about the workplace of someone
>> who has learnt printing as a profession
>>

> There are two possibilities for a printer (as in typographic presses and
> the people who run them).
>
> One possibility is office=printer.  The wiki says that office is a place
> of business where administrative or professional
> work is carried out.  It sells services not goods (some printers may also
> sell stationery supplies or pre-printed items
> but that's a sideline) so it's office rather than shop.

actually shop=* is about a (public facing) place selling retail goods or
services. E.g. shop=haircutter, shop=tailor, shop=beauty, shop=massage,
shop=tattoo, shop=car_repair, shop=bookmaker, shop=funeral_directors,
shop=laundry, shop=travel_agency, etc.

I agree that office=printer could also make sense (it's actually used 8
times, there are also 25 office=printing, 8 office=print and 2
office=print_shop).
Offices in OSM generally are places you don't just drop by (compare e.g.
amenity=bank with office=bank), if they are accessible you would normally
need an appointment.

> And office fits a lot better than craft or amenity.

craft was introduced because of the existence of relicts from past times
e.g. in Germany concerning the education (and certification) of certain
(regulated, or formerly regulated) professions and arts (e.g by the chamber
of commerce and industry, "chamber of crafts", guilds, etc.). In this
context, craft=* means the person/company offering a service is certified
(and should be qualified, will work according to current standards, etc.)
by an official entity (could be private).

Another possibility is building=industrial.  Most jobbing printers have
> large, noisy machinery.

building=industrial is a tag about an industrial building. Not a very good
tag IMHO, I'd like to know more about the structure and would prefer
something like building=production_hall, or building=warehouse over a very
generic "industrial". Still, this is not about anything happening inside
the building. In case of these bigger printing facilities, I'd consider
using man_made=works (we should take care to distinguish those plants that
do print from those that produce printing machinery though).
Those bigger facilities often consist of more than one building, and they
also often have open space for parking and loading.

Both may apply to the same building.  Most jobbing printers have some sort
> of office where they deal with customers
> and a lot of machinery.

Please distinguish between "building" and what is happening in the building
(and outside of it on the grounds). Those are orthogonal, will often have
different details (e.g. start_date, name).

Cheers,
Martin