[Tagging] Water source types

Daniel Koć daniel at xn--ko-wla.pl
Wed Jan 10 00:49:51 UTC 2018

W dniu 09.01.2018 o 21:45, Mateusz Konieczny pisze:
> My interpretation is that:
> amenity=water_point
> amenity=drinking_water
>
> mark place used to get water, synonymous for most purposes
> - but amenity=water_point may be used  also to supply large volume of
>    water.

I don't think they are synonymous - water point says nothing about
drinkability. I think it's too important feature in general (I mean
outside West countries and in the outdoor) to just guess it when we have
special tagging for it.

> man_made=water_well
> man_made=water_tap
>
> These tags do not indicate that water is available but precisely
> describe what kind of structure exists at a given place.

I would probably use water=no if I knew they don't provide the water,
but it's quite rare tag (183 uses). My general assumption would be
however that the water is there.

> Similarly amenity=drinking_water may also appear on objects
> that are neither taps nor wells - like fountains or drinkable
> mountainous stream in place where it is easy for tourists to get water
> or many other object (I am unable to find image now but I encountered
> mountainous stream with wooden construction that made refilling
> bottles easy, with information board that water is drinkable).

Thanks, that's interesting example where this tag could be used alone,
probably.

I would say that amenity=drinking_water is a general source of the high
quality water and it would be good to make it more specific if possible
- adding tap, well and pump tags would be nice.

Similar with amenity=water_point - it's also general, but without
claiming anything about drinkability. Adding device type would be nice too.

--
"My method is uncertain/ It's a mess but it's working" [F. Apple]