[Tagging] route role on cycle routes

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Thu Jan 11 23:57:34 UTC 2018

On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 1:30 PM, Jo <winfixit at gmail.com> wrote:

> I fail to understand what information the route role is supposed to add.

Identify "on/off ramp" connections on cycleways and multi-use paths that
have a "bicycle superhighway" configuration.

> I never needed a link role  in bicycle or hiking route relations, it seems
> something to use on route=road relations.

I've stopped bothering with it because it's badly supported by consumers
and is a real pain in the tail to maintain.  I don't think roles other than
"forward" and "backward" are commonly used for child relations, though
cardinal directions appear in super-relations where the children are
one-relation-per-direction, pretty much a necessity for RCN and NCN routes
in the US where a state line terminates the route on a dual carriageway.