[Tagging] Water source types

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 12 21:53:14 UTC 2018

On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 9:26 PM, Cez jod <czuyaa at gmail.com> wrote:

I think it would be worth adding a tag if the water is really harmful
hazard=poison (in the sense of water contaminated permanently, for example:
salt, heavy metals, radiation, chemicals)

I don't know if this is a language issue or some peculiarity of labelling
in your country, but most of us understand that "drinking water" is *not*
toxic, radioactive, contaminated with sewage, or petrol but is, in fact, *water
that is safe for drinking.  *That's what "drinking water" means (in my
country and language).  It doesn't matter if it comes out of a tap or a
drinking fountain, "drinking water" is water that is intended for drinking
and is safe to consume.  If it's not safe to consume, or is not water, then
it isn't "drinking water."

Note that "potable" doesn't mean drinking water, it means any liquid that
can be (reasonably) safely ingested, such as orange juice or beer.

Note that vending machines selling water (bottled or as a measured flow),
no matter how similar their name may be to "drinking point" or whatever,
are best tagged as amenity=vending_machine and vending=water.  However, a
specific one is known to dispense water that does not meet legal
requirements or dispense water for uses other than drinking, then it is
appropriate to add drinking_water=no.

All IMHO, of course.

--
Paul