[Tagging] Surface value for irregular, flat stones with variable gaps

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 16:10:00 UTC 2018

> Hello,
>
> In Brazil there are many streets that have a type of pavement which
> I'm beginning to think is rather unique. It is made of natural stones
> (granite, basalt, gneiss) cut irregularly but mostly flat on the top,
> arranged randomly with random gap spacing, usually 10x15x10cm. [2] The
> gaps are sometimes filled with cement, sometimes not. Examples can be
> found by searching Google Images for "pavimentação poliédrica"
> (literally "polyhedral paving"). [3]
>
> Should these be mapped as surface=sett because of the similar average
> gap size and similar smoothness, or as surface=cobblestone due to the
> irregular cuts and patterns?
>
> [1] https://blogdaengenhariacivil.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/
> screenshot783-2.jpg
> [2] https://blogdaengenhariacivil.wordpress.com/2014/12/08/
> pavimentacao-em-pedra-tosca-e-paralelepipedo/

interesting. I'd distinguish paving_stones, sett and cobblestones by the
smoothness (in descending order).

Also here, as in the portugese paving thread, if you want to tell which
particular paving was used, it might be advisable to use an additional tag
(to answer e.g. the question which roads have this kind of paving, etc.).

Cheers,
Martin