[Tagging] Surface value for irregular, flat stones with variable gaps

Fernando Trebien fernando.trebien at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 19:45:52 UTC 2018

On Mon, Jan 15, 2018 at 2:10 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer
<dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
> interesting. I'd distinguish paving_stones, sett and cobblestones by the
> smoothness (in descending order).

This approach would be interesting to reduce the future need for the
smoothness tag.

To make differences more evident, I believe we could define in the wiki:
- pebblestone: loose small rounded natural stones
- cobblestone: jointed large rounded natural stones [1]
- sett: large natural stones cut to a flat top, usually jointed and
forming a regular pattern [2]
- paving_stones: smooth tightly-fitting natural stones or artificial
blocks, usually forming a regular pattern [3]

This would change the wiki in the following ways:
- cobblestone: no longer a superset of sett
- sett: no longer required to be always regular

Then the two cases I've presented recently would become:
- portuguese_pavement -> paving_stones: because the gaps are tight and
the surface is smooth
- "polyhedral pavement" -> sett: because the gaps are somewhat wide
and the stones are cut to be flat on the top

Then there is cobblestone:flattened, which I think should be
discouraged according to the text.

[1] http://www.pavingexpert.com/cobble01.htm
[2] http://www.pavingexpert.com/setts01.htm
[3] http://www.pavingexpert.com/blocks.htm