[Tagging] Water source types

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 23:26:29 UTC 2018

On 16-Jan-18 02:44 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> <mailto:61sundowner at gmail.com>>:
>
>     No.
>
>     A tap cannot be easily drunk from ... you need a cup/hand to divert the water to your mouth.
>
>     A drinking fountain has a jet of water that can be intercepted by your mouth - no cup required.
>
>     A tap can easily be used to fill a container.
>
>     A drinking fountain cannot easily be used to fill a container.
>
>     See the OSMwiki for physical structures?
>

> these are all relative, while not everyone might be able to drink from
> a tap, my three year old can without making himself wet, so it can't
> be that hard.
>
> The most typical drinking fountain around here looks like this:
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:Nasona_a_via_annia_faustina_2.JPG

I would find that difficult to drink from .... Have to get on my hands
and knees, rotate head at least 90 degrees ... not easy. Far easier with
a cup/bottle.
The young are far more flexible than the old.

> if you don't have a cup, you can block the water at the end of the
> tube and it will jet out of the tiny hole in the middle of the tube.
Arr ... so a wet hand/thumb.

To me this is a combination of tap and drinking fountain.

> A tap is only working acceptably well for filling a container if there
> is sufficient pressure in the tubes, not a given in arid areas in the
> summer.

As well as pressure there is a minimum rate of flow. You can have high
pressure but only a drop per hour.
So I think you mean flow rate rather than pressure.

> Those drinking fountains linked above are comparable to a water tap
> with regard to filling a container.
>
> Don't assume that this kind of feature is similar in all of its
> aspects around the world. E.g. the requirements for a drinking
> fountain are that you can drink and that it is made for drinking. It
> doesn't have implications whether you can fill a container or not.

I have recently seen a photo of a drinking fountain with a sign "not for
drinking" .. I think it is some legal thing only, most would drink from
it directly.

There are water tanks along the Larapinta Trail and they all have a
warning about treat the water before drinking, yet lots of people drink
without treatment and without harm.
These are all taps - no drinking fountains out there.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larapinta_Trail
Some American tourist on a day walk out there died from lack of water
recently, less than 1 km from a water tank ... yes it is in OSM.
OSMand renders the water source there ... would have to check the tagging.