[Tagging] Sidewalks and cycleways as tags vs as extra lines

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 13:00:48 UTC 2018

On 16/01/2018 10:17, "Christian Müller" wrote:
> But a simple
> (read ideally one or two tags) attribute that enables data users to
> bisect a set of motorized ways by the sidewalk or sidepath property
> may simplify a lot of queries.

sidewalk=separate is currently used a fair bit to indicate that "there
is a sidewalk mapped separately, with its own tags on it":
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/sidewalk#values . Unfortunately
the values used for cycleway are a bit more complex:
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/cycleway#values - it's not clear
to me which of those tags have the meaning "X is mapped separately",
with the possible exception of the relatively low use
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/cycleway=separate .

"sideride" is used even less, undocumented, and doesn't mean anything in
English (so it's difficult to even guess what it might mean).

"replacing" sidewalk=* with e.g. sidewalk:left=* is not a good idea
since there are 1,186,931 existing objects.  For comparison
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/sidewalk%3Aleft shows only 504 uses.

Best Regards,
Andy