[Tagging] Difference between lighthouses and beacons

Steve Doerr doerr.stephen at gmail.com
Fri Jan 19 02:23:21 UTC 2018

On 19/01/2018 02:16, Andrew Davidson wrote:
> On 19/01/18 00:52, Janko Mihelić wrote:
>> Ok, the discussion at least came to an agreement that this:
>>
>> https://imgur.com/a/U8SXn
>>
>> is not a man_made=lighthouse.
>
> Don't be too sure about that. I thought that we could all agree that a
> lighthouse had some thing to do with light and houses, but it turns
> out that's not an universally held opinion.

Depends what you mean by 'houses'. The purpose of a lighthouse is to
house a light: it doesn't need to house people. Here's the OED definition:

'A tower or other structure, with a powerful light or lights (originally
a beacon) at the top, erected at some important or dangerous point on or
near the sea-coast for the guidance of mariners.'

--
Steve

---