[Tagging] route role on cycle routes

Fernando Trebien fernando.trebien at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 23:57:40 UTC 2018

On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 7:53 PM, Dave F <davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com> wrote:
> The links he provides do not "suggest that such role should not be used."
> The description in [2] is giving clear instruction where 'forward/backward'
> roles
> *can* be used.
> He says "The role is missing" from [2]. It's unclear what he means.

In my original e-mail, the role I'm referring to is named "route", not
"forward" nor "backward".

> Cycle routes aren't Public Transport so don't use PTv2. Therefore "extending
> the discussion was pointless".

[2] is an article about the "route" relation, which can be understood
as applying to all types of route relations, be them
road/bicycle/bus/train/etc.

> Forward/Backward roles are required in cycle route relations.

Surely. I'm not disputing that.

> I believe the wiki pages are correct & Fernando has misinterpreted them.

Please have a look again at [2], first row of the table after its header.

>> JOSM issues a warning whenever this role is used with either PTv2
>> routes or cycle routes (in fact with any kind of route).
>
> I've not received that warning for cycle (or any) routes. What is its exact
> wording? Please give detailed step-by-step instructions on how to replicate
> it.

Draw a way, create a relation, add the way to the relation, assign the
way the role "route", add the following tags to the relation:
type=route, route=bicycle. Close the relation window, clear your
selection, run the validator, and you'll get these two warnings under
"Role verification problem": "Role <empty> missing" and "Role route
unknown in templates /forward/backward". Change the tag "type" to
anything else and you'll still get a warning saying that "route" is
not an expected role.

--
Fernando Trebien
+55 (51) 9962-5409