[Tagging] Canoe route

osm.tagging at thorsten.engler.id.au osm.tagging at thorsten.engler.id.au
Sun Jul 1 01:16:23 UTC 2018

It might be best to adapt the same language used in the access tag:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:access

Water-based transportation

*         access=* (category: any water-based transportation mode)

*          <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:boat> boat=* (covers small boats and pleasure crafts, including yachts)

*          <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:motorboat> motorboat=* (boats and yachts using motor, on  <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Way>  also for sailing boats using the motor)

*          <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:sailboat&action=edit&redlink=1> sailboat=* (boats and yachts using sails, on  <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Way>  doing way with sail, not using the motor (according to the definition of the Colreg))

*          <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:canoe> canoe=* (boats without sail or motor, such as small dinghies, canoes, kayaks, etc.)

So “canoe” is the generic term used for any such small boats, including kayaks.

route=canoe seems fine in that case. maybe route=boat if it’s also suitable for motorboat or sailboat.