[Tagging] Spanish "manors"

Christoph Hormann osm at imagico.de
Wed Jul 4 11:40:25 UTC 2018

On Wednesday 04 July 2018, César Martínez Izquierdo wrote:

> I wonder if option 1 (manor) is too specific to UK or it can be
> applied also to these kind of building.
>
> OSM wiki states: "The manor tag is intended only for representative
> buildings that are in the same time the administrative center of a
> large agricultural estate. Buildings lacking this economic feature
> should not be tagged.".

historic=manor is not UK specific, it is used elsewhere too:

https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/historic=manor#map

However you need to keep in mind that there is also historic=castle +
castle_type=manor.  Both these have been added to rendering in
OSM-Carto recently:

https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/pull/3099

which will likely perpetuate the tagging fragmentation.

If historic=manor fits for your cases i would only invent a new tag if
there is a clear distinction between the two that is practically
verifiable by a mapper without specialized architectural or historic
knowledge.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/