[Tagging] Golf wiki page

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 07:07:19 UTC 2018

On 14/07/18 15:11, osm.tagging at thorsten.engler.id.au wrote:

> While page is not the best... you seem to misunderstand part of it.
>
> The "level" reference doesn't have anything to do the level tag. Or any tag at all. It's just saying there are 3 levels of detail at which a golf course can be mapped.

In which case a different word can be used .. like 'order'.

> As for the "How short is the grass" section, while maybe not expressed in the best way, that looks generally correct to me.

Why not use height? already exists and is understandable by all.

> golf=green or golf=tee_area has the shortest grass
> nobody seems to map golf=fringe or golf=apron, so these should probably go
> golf=fairway is slightly longer than the green, but still well maintained
> golf=mown is hardly used, can probably go
> golf=rough is the longer grass outside the fairway, it generally is still mowed, but noticeable longer
> natural=scrub is for areas that are generally not longer mowed, so you get very long grass, some shrubs, ...
> natural=wood, well, there are trees here
> landuse=forest has no meaningful difference to natural=wood in this context and can go.
>
> Generally speaking, you have areas for green, tee and fairway (green and tee are NOT inside the fairway), surrounded by rough, surrounded by scrub and/or wood.

Grooming is used for piste and may possibly be applied here.
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:piste:grooming

Comment: not all golf courses have grass...
http://www.cooberpedygolfclub.com.au/
where "/greens are black and the fairways are white" /So height of the grass cannot be used everywhere.//