[Tagging] Golf wiki page

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 08:41:13 UTC 2018

> sent from a phone
>
>> On 14. Jul 2018, at 09:07, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Why not use height? already exists and is understandable by all.
>
> because in golfing you don’t refer to grass by referring explicitly to different heights, you use specific types of vegetation and “treatment” and obstacles/features, like fairway, green, rough, bunker. It makes no sense (to me) to describe the features of a golf course in an abstract way if it is immediate and self explanatory to use duck tagging and precise terms. IMHO applying the terms of the domain you want to describe makes it both, easier for data consumers to understand what is intended, and for mappers to know which tags to apply (as long as the mappers are familiar with the domain).

Devils advocate hat firmly on.

But what is intended? Not the height of the grass .. but the 'smoothness and regularity' of the playing surface?

I use http://www.cooberpedygolfclub.com.au/ as an example again.
That golf course has no grown grass. They use sand and oil for the greens. They use artificial grass on the tees.
The difference is the finish on the surfaces .. not the size of gains of sand nor size of the rocks nor the height of the grass...

I have just finished tagging that golf course .. fairways have surface=sand, colour=white; greens are surface=sand, colour=black.
Humm I don't remember what I have tagged tees as? Should be colour=green, surface=artificial_grass and they should be square.
  .
I don't have the knowledge to tag the roughs, bunkers and some of the tees there so it is just a rough start.