[Tagging] Tagging shared zones?

Tobias Zwick osm at westnordost.de
Sun Jul 15 10:11:35 UTC 2018

Tagging these zones explicitly with the rules the law dictates for these
zones is certainly a solution, but a less ideal one than merely tagging
the type of zone because this would require every surveyor to know
exactly what rules apply to tag it correctly. A surveyor just sees this:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/14/France_road_sign_B52.svg/262px-France_road_sign_B52.svg.png

I see the following pros if we'd specifically tag shared zones as such,
and not (only) the rules derived from that:

1. Surveyors don't need to know what rules exactly are derived from that
   sign, so it is easier and more consistently mapped

2. better verifiability: we tag the existence of the sign above, not
   just rules that are derived from that sign

3. slightly better future-compatibilty: since the existance of the sign
   instead of rules derived from that sign is mapped, there is no
   problem should the rules change

4. slightly less complex evaluation by routers: router software just
   needs to look at one tag (like with highway=living_street) to know
   that the road is a very low priority road instead of evaluating the
   designated tags.

How about this?
---------------

We tag shared zones (where that sign is visible) as
highway=living_street, but tag the speed limit explicitly to what can be
read on the sign. As said, in all countries that implemented shared
zones so far, the actual speed limit is explicitly given on the sign.

Reasons:
1. Shared zones share pretty much the same traffic rules as
   living streets, and they are implementations of the same concept:
   shared space zones[1].

2. At least in Belgium, Belarus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Finland,
   Georgia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Poland and Ukraine (source: [2]),
   the implicit speed limit for "real" living streets is actually 20
   km/h (the common speed limit for shared zones). So, the living
   streets in these countries are already more like shared zones.
   Actually, there are more countries with the concept of living streets
   that set a default 10-20 km/h limit than those that set a "walking
   speed" limit. This explains why "Begegnungszone"/shared zone only
   exist in a few countries - in the others, living streets are
   basically already that.

3. No changes required for router software to understand shared zones as
   a very low priority road :-D

4. And of course the 4 pros mentioned above.

Tobias

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shared_space
[2] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Default_speed_limits