[Tagging] Golf wiki page

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 23:15:58 UTC 2018

On 16/07/18 08:32, Graeme Fitzpatrick wrote:
> Watching this with interest as, just the other day, while on holidays,
> I was looking at a golf club that is apparently built within the
> boundaries of a designated State Forest, intended for logging
> purposes, so it /is/ landuse=forest as far as OSM is concerned, but it
> is also leisure=golf_course!
>
> Makes as interesting one, as in this case, mapping correctly shows the
> wrong rendered result, as it shows that this area is covered by trees,
> when it is in fact a golf club, with normal tees, fairways, greens etc.
>
> I have no idea as to the legal ownership of the ground - it is quite
> possible that the ground is still Govt owned, designated as State
> Forest, but leased to the Golf Club on an on-going basis, but with the
> possibility that, one day, the Govt could take it back & plant pine
> trees across the area.(Which may sound far-fetched, but is perfectly
> possible, although unlikely)

Yes. there is a mountain bike club using forestry land that I came
across too .. mumm .. I'd change the golf cub area to golf club as that
is what is on the ground .. but add a tag ownership=forestry commission
? I have left the MTB thing alone .. nothing very visible.

> But, going back to golf courses, how do you number the fairways? "1"
> or "1st"?; & marked on the tee / fairway / green / all 3 / don't?

Looks to me like it is marked on the 'hole' .. 'golf=hole' is for the
way between tee off to green pin ...
as suggested on
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:leisure%3Dgolf_course .
That wiki page looks to have the best descriptions to me.

I think some tees and greens are used for multiple different holes so
use the hole for the name etc is best in that situation.