[Tagging] landuse=basin

Christoph Hormann osm at imagico.de
Wed Jul 18 08:02:46 UTC 2018

On Wednesday 18 July 2018, Warin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The presentOSM meaning of landuse=basin is "An area of land
> artificially graded to hold water."
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse%3Dbasin
> This does not distinguishit from water=reservoir
> OSM defined as
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:water%3Dreservoir> "A
> reservoir or artificial lake used to store water."
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:water%3Dreservoir
>

> I think it should have the word "temporarily" add to read

That is not how the tag is used.

water=reservoir is primarily used for dammed rivers.  landuse=basin is
mostly used for water areas created artificially where there was no
pre-existing waterbody.  If in your area these are mostly temporarily
water filled that is due to climate and not a universal characteristic.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/