[Tagging] landuse=basin

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 08:37:49 UTC 2018

On 18/07/18 18:02, Christoph Hormann wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 July 2018, Warin wrote:
>> Hi, The presentOSM meaning of landuse=basin is "An area of land
>> artificially graded to hold water."
>> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse%3Dbasin This does not
>> distinguishit from water=reservoir OSM defined as
>> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:water%3Dreservoir> "A
>> reservoir or artificial lake used to store water."
>> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:water%3Dreservoir I think it
>> should have the word "temporarily" add to read
> That is not how the tag is used. water=reservoir is primarily used for
> dammed rivers. landuse=basin is mostly used for water areas created
> artificially where there was no pre-existing waterbody. If in your
> area these are mostly temporarily water filled that is due to climate
> and not a universal characteristic.

A man made dam is artificial, creating an artificial water area where
there was no large pre existing water body. Little difference. Some
perceive a difference in scale?

Two of the sub tags under basin suggest temporary water:
basin=infiltration - catches storm water and allows it to seep into an
aquifer
basin=detention - catches storm water and allows it to drain slowly into
natural waterways
basin=retention - catches storm water and retains it, forming an
artificial pond.

Only in the last case would there be water. So my idea fails there.
So what difference is there between the two? Your idea of reservoir, dam
is for a natural water way prompts;
Perhaps that a basin is not part of the natural flow of water but part
of the human drainage system?

That would be a clear difference between the two. Thanks.