[Tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting - ephemeral -STOPPED

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 01:57:13 UTC 2018

On 19/07/18 10:17, Warin wrote:
> On 19/07/18 02:04, Fran├žois Lacombe wrote:

>> <mailto:theswavu at gmail.com>>:
>>
>>     On 18/07/18 18:42, Fran├žois Lacombe wrote:
>>
>>         What about flow=permanent(default), intermittent, ephemeral ?
>>

>>     Flow is not a good choice for a key as you can tag other
>>     hydrological features' permanence; such as lakes or wetlands, and
>>     these don't flow.
>>

>> Then, water_presence=permanent(default), intermittent, ephemeral,
>> seasonal?
>> Obviously, I find water_ prefix redundant with waterway=*, but
>> understand that it may be necessarily.
>> I don't see any objection to such key in your story. Just "no
>> particular response".
>>
>> It would allows us to merge intermittent=yes, seasonal=*,
>> ephemeral=yes and maybe more tags.
>>

> That does not allow for a combination .. e.g.
>
> seasonal presence in winter
> intermittent presence in spring;summer
>
> The present practice of adding the tag intermittent to anything tagged
> seasonal does not help at all for any chance of combinations ... so
> OSM may as well abandon any hope of detailing any complex situation.

Humm how about
water_presence:permanent=yes/no . no would mean that the water feature
no longer exists and is redundant. yes would be the default so does not
need to be added .. so this tag is redundant itself.

water_presence:seasonal=yes/no/spring/summer/* no being the default.
water_presence:intermittent,=yes/no/spring/summer/* no being the default.
water_presence:ephemeral=yes/no/spring/summer/* no being the default.

That would allow for complex tagging ..

Examples ?
Something present seasonally during snow melt;
water_presence:seasonal=snow_melt (spring would be the nearest tag on
the wiki .. but we should tag the truth rather than conform to the wiki)
Something present ephemerally but only during the wet season;
water_presence:ephemeral=wet_season
Something present intermittently; water_presence:intermittent,=yes

Something present seasonally during winter and intermittently at other
times of the year;
water_presence:seasonal=winter
with
water_presence:intermittent,=yes (or spring;summer;autumn ?)