[Tagging] landuse=basin

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 08:08:05 UTC 2018

On 19/07/18 16:53, Mateusz Konieczny wrote:
> 18. Lipiec 2018 16:02 od eric at eric-poehlsen.de
> <mailto:eric at eric-poehlsen.de>:
>
>     The present OSM meaning of landuse=basin is "An area of land
>     artificially graded to hold water."
>     https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse%3Dbasin
>     This does not distinguish it from water=reservoir
>     OSM defined as "A reservoir or artificial lake used to store water."
>     https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:water%3Dreservoir
>

>     I think it should have the word "temporarily" add to read
>

>     "An area of land artificially graded to temporarily hold water."
>

>     I see it as similar to the bathroom basin - it holds water, but
>     not all the time.
>
>     Thoughts?
>

> Have you checked what is mapped? If mappers use both tags in the same
> way then
>
> redefining them on wiki without resurveying most of them is pointless.

I have not 'refined' them. I have simply stated the usual configuration.
It is done to help mappers differentiate between them.

As both are rendered the same the effect is negotiable.

Dams are usually seen in imagery. And the larger of them are mapped. So
that can confirm that no reservoirs are mapped as basins.

I would expect reservoirs have been mapped for some time in OSM and
basins only recently so there will be a fair few basins mapped as
reservoir.
This is a practice of 'best fit' and at worst 'tagging for the render'.
I possibly have a few of them...

If future renders distinguish between them then mappers will have
motivation to correct any errors.
At the moment that motivation is very small.

Where someone has used both tags on the same object there is a
problem... which is it?
In that case I would first consult the history - what was it originally
tagged, and then look at imagery for possible confirmation.
If the imagery is poor then I'd go with the original mapper. Contacting
the relevant mappers is also a possibility.