[Tagging] landuse=basin

Lionel Giard lionel.giard at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 12:19:12 UTC 2018

I would also add that "water=reservoir" is a sub-tag of "natural=water";
while "landuse=reservoir" is a tag that can go alone by itself. The main
thing is that the second scheme is older than the first, and thus still
more used.
Looking at the proposal to "simplify water tagging" that was approved a few
years ago (
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Water_details ), the
new scheme is to use *natural=water + water=** on most of the water related
features.

For the reservoir/basin that don't always contain water (*especially for
storm water retention !*), we already have another tag : "landuse=basin"
that is for *" An area of land artificially graded to hold water." * so it
already cover this part and the sub-tag here are clearly made to describe
storm water retention/infiltration and some other artificial uses like that.
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse%3Dbasin

Thus, the landuse=reservoir tag is mostly an older scheme that still exist
and evolve as there are a lot of use in the database. Maybe should it be
discouraged to simplify the water tagging ? At the end, it doesn't really
matter that much for data users as it is only two schemes that say exactly
the same things (with the same sub-tag "reservoir_type=*"), it is more a
complexity in the database that could probably be avoided.