[Tagging] building=clubhouse

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 05:20:42 UTC 2018

On 19/07/18 18:20, Tobias Knerr wrote:
> On 19.07.2018 05:15, Warin wrote:
>> Would it not be best to combine all theses into building=clubhouse?
> I'm not opposed to the general idea of having a sport-independent tag
> for clubhouses, if we can agree on a suitable tag. However, please
> remember that the value of building=* does _not_ indicate what the
> building is used for. So I don't think it's a good choice for this
> purpose.

Building is supposed to be used for the outside appearance.
However building=house is used, and there are many different varieties
of appearances of houses .. yet they all have the same function.
Similar variations exist for other OSM buildings.
Yet there looks to be little in the way of mappers complaining about the
tagging.
Clubhouses exhibit a similar range, yet they do have characteristics
that help identify them.

Leaving them marked building=yes and having to include another tag for
'clubhouse' I don't think is good.

If there is to be yet another tag then perhaps building:function=* might
be used?
Of course almost all building=house would be tagged
building:function=house, same for commercial etc etc .. they almost
always have the same function.
There, of course, are a few exceptions... perhaps this is a way of
tagging them.
The default value for building:function could be taken as that of the
building= tag to make life easier for the vast majority of features.

???