[Tagging] Lake or Pond

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 23:23:10 UTC 2018

On 21 July 2018 at 05:20, Dave Swarthout <daveswarthout at gmail.com> wrote:

> My criteria for deciding between lake and pond are therefore mostly based
> on size. Sometimes a lake-sized water body is obviously very shallow and so
> I tag it as a pond.

Being an awkward Aussie again :-)

Lake Eyre, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Eyre, when full, has a
surface area of "9,500 km2 (3,668 sq mi)" but has only filled a handful of
times in the last ~150 years. Even when full, the maximum water depth in
the deepest spot is only 6 m's, with most being <3 m's, & the water is
virtually transparent, so that the lake bottom can still be seen from the
air.

So this makes it only a pond? (& a intermittent one at that! :-))