[Tagging] building = house vs detached.

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 08:41:34 UTC 2018

> That's about the size of it. People will most likely continue tagging
> freestanding houses as "house" because, hey, it's a house. Luckily, it's
> not incorrect. I can imagine a theoretical mapper wanting to retag them as
> "detached" instead, and I'd tell that mapper: "Nah. Let those houses be.
> They're fine."

yes, houses are residential buildings, can be freestanding (detached) but
do not have to. Currently the wiki says houses are usually single household
buildings, I am not sure I would agree with this. I have been tagging
houses in historic villages as houses that usually have 2 floors, generally
with independent entrances from outside (individual doors from the street,
upper floors via outside stairs), these are not apartment buildings, but
neither are they one-unit single family buildings. The generic "house" from
my understanding does apply.

examples:
https://www.settemuse.it/viaggi_italia_lazio/VT_calcata/foto_calcata_040.JPG
https://www.settemuse.it/viaggi_italia_lazio/VT_calcata/foto_calcata_056.JPG
https://www.settemuse.it/viaggi_italia_lazio/VT_calcata/foto_calcata_047.JPG

> Oh, and then there are bungalows and cottages, which count as houses in
> OSM, so are tagged as
> building=detached.
>

> Nb, the wiki does offer building=bungalow, and there are nearly 50k of
> them out there. I'd consider bungalow a special subset of detached (which
> is a special subset of house, etc.)

+1

Cheers,
Martin