[Tagging] building = house vs detached.

Jmapb jmapb at gmx.com
Mon Jul 23 15:08:43 UTC 2018

On 7/23/2018 11:02 AM, Colin Smale wrote:

> Let's stop conflating concepts and worrying about what things are
> "called", and describe indisputable characteristics of objects, in
> this case how many floors and how/whether the dwelling is connected to
> its neighbours. The use of house=terrace may be justified for a
> transitional situation where a whole terrace has been mapped as a
> single building and not yet split into individual units. When it is
> split, it is just a house - the geometry (shared nodes) will show that
> it connects to the adjacent properties and allow you to derive that it
> is terraced.

Had a good sleep in my single-storey building=shed last night, lulled to
sleep by rain on the roof, and woke up to the conclusion that the
attached/detached/semi-detached distinction is not a great use of the
building tag. As mentioned by André, we can literally see on the map if
these house footprints are attached via shared party wall. So there's
really no need to describe the attached-ness using the building tag. For
number of floors, we have building:levels=*. So the building tag is
freed up to describe the characteristic style of the building  -- hut,
shed, bungalow, house, apartments, villa, static_caravan -- or just
residential or yes -- and if we want to know how attached it is or
isn't, look at the footprint. (Ignoring for the moment the fact that
buildings can also be mapped as footprint-less nodes.)

I still see the value of building=terrace for using a single building
way to map an entire row. Especially for those that really are
physically constructed as single buildings.

And I could also see the case for building=duplex (though it's not
currently endorsed by the wiki) because many duplexes are top/bottom,
and even in side-by-side duplexes it's not always easy for a mapper to
see where the party wall lies in order to divide the footprint into two
houses. (Currently I'd just tag these building=residential.
Wiki-abiding, and it avoids the march towards triplex, quadplex, etc.)