[Tagging] building = house vs detached.

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 21:56:31 UTC 2018

sent from a phone

> On 23. Jul 2018, at 17:08, Jmapb <jmapb at gmx.com> wrote:
>
> woke up to the conclusion that the attached/detached/semi-detached distinction is not a great use of the building tag. As mentioned by André, we can literally see on the map if these house footprints are attached via shared party wall.

it is not possible to do it reliably for terraced houses, because they are not only characterized by being attached.

> So there's really no need to describe the attached-ness using the building tag. .... So the building tag is freed up to describe the characteristic style of the building  -- hut, shed, bungalow, house, apartments, villa, static_caravan

if you agree with the list above it seems more consistent not to drop detached in favor of residential; detached, semi-detached and terraced are all subtypes of houses, there is some overlap with bungalows and villas.

Cheers,
Martin