[Tagging] building = house vs detached.

Jerry Clough - OSM sk53_osm at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jul 24 09:48:03 UTC 2018

 On 23/07/2018 14:00, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote

 it does not seem to be a very promising concept though. Terraced houses are usually seen as a compromise for people who want an independent house, but cannot afford a detached one. Terraced houses are cheaper because they need less ground (i.e. you can usually find them where the ground is expensive to buy), expensive ground means you’ll try to use it intensively, which is contradicting the bungalow concept.Terraced houses are almost always narrow, deep and relatively high.Maybe in the UK with its tradition of terraced houses there could be a cultural interest in something like terraced bungalows and there is also an energetic advantage from reducing external walls, but overall there’s little danger this will become a widespread concept for housing. Cheers,Martin _______________________________________________Tagging mailing listTagging at openstreetmap.orghttps://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/tagging 
 An unwise generalisation. Some of the most expensive houses in the UK are terraced houses (see Stefan Muthesius "The English Terraced House"). Notable examples can be found in Belgravia, Regent's Park, Edinburgh New Town, Regency Bath, and many other cities. I can also think of examples in Paris, e.g., Place des Vosges. The UK is probably unusual in that terraced houses were built for all classes over around a couple of hundred years (roughly 1700 to 1900). 
  At the opposite end of the spectrum, back-to-back terraced houses still exist in several places, notably Beeston, a suburb of Leeds (see for instance this blog). Thus a plain building=terrace may be inadequate for many purposes (from identifying less-well of housing areas, to locating specific types of houses).
  On the actual tagging: it's certainly useful in the UK to distinguish between detached, semi-detached and terraced houses. As has been pointed out building:levels=1 may be an adequate synonym for bungalow, but there also exist "chalet bungalows" which have bedrooms in the roof (usually with dormer windows), and certainly I see many detached and semi-detached bungalows. Other housing types which may be highly UK specific are : mews houses (found behind the grander types of terrace in London and Edinburgh and a few other places, and often very expensive); maisonettes, purpose built flats in a structure which looks like a house (no good description on wikipedia); (modern british usage of) town house, a terraced house with integral garage on the ground floor and most living accommodation on the upper floors; link-detached houses, the garages of adjacent houses completely fill the space between them.
 I dont have any generic solution to all this, other than to continue collecting data. Where I have been trying to precisely delineate very specific types of housing I'm using 'private' tags (in part because I need to do archive work to find the actual codes used by the architects). 
A commercial mapping provider gave a talk at Geomob about 3 years ago: they have something like 70 building classes to cover the spectrum of building types in British cities. I have their brochure, but have deliberately avoided examining it too closely in case of inadvertently copying their ideas.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/attachments/20180724/865d82a7/attachment-0001.html>

More information about the Tagging mailing list