[Tagging] Use of namespace as a Lifecycle

Ilya Zverev ilya at zverev.info
Tue Jul 24 13:44:47 UTC 2018

Lifecycle prefixes are not for adding historic or future data in OpenStreetMap. Please see http://openhistorymap.org/ for that.

These prefixes are in OSM only to avoid mapping mistakes. For example, when a building is visible on a commonly used satellite imagery, but has been demolished, we use was:building (not sure about the exact prefix) to tell mappers not to re-add it to the map. When a mapper finds a plan for a new city block, a prefix "proposed:" will tell them that yes, we know about that plan, but it's not up yet.

Another use for lifecycle prefixes is a temporary closure. For example, when a shop closes and most likely another shop will open, we add "disused:shop" to mark the location of the POI, prompting to re-survey it.

By no means you should use these prefixes to _add_ information about something that's not there. OSM is only for objects that exist on the ground right now. With a few exceptions dictated by nature of mapping.

Ilya